THE Golden Globes are set to take place this Sunday, but with a very different feel for 2022.
The 79th Golden Globe Awards is on Sunday, January 9, 2022, however, it has been reported the ceremony was unable to find a broadcast partner for the year or any celebrities willing to participate, according to Variety.
It comes after the Globes were hit by boycotts over its diversity and ethics scandal, with a host of big names slamming the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
NBC also decided to pull the plug on the show due to lack of diversity by the HFPA.
HFPA president Helen Hoehne told The Hollywood Reporter: “Change of this magnitude takes time and work, and we feel strongly that the HFPA needs time to do it right.”
Read our Golden Globes live blog for the latest news and updates…
Best Musical/Comedy Series nominees
- The Great
- Only Murders in the Building
- Reservation Dogs
- Ted Lasso
Best Drama Series nominees
- The Morning Show
- Squid Game
Best Picture, Musical/Comedy, nominees
- Don’t Look Up
- Licorice Pizza
- tick, tick…BOOM!
- West Side Story (2021)
Best Picture, Drama, nominees
- King Richard
- The Power of the Dog
Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture
- Caitriona Balfe, Belfast
- Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
- Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
- Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
- Ruth Negga, Passing
Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
The nominations are:
- Ben Affleck, The Tender Bar
- Jamie Dornan, Belfast
- Ciarán Hinds, Belfast
- Troy Kotsur, CODA
- Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical/Comedy
The nominations are:
- Marion Cotillard, Annette
- Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza
- Jennifer Lawrence, Don’t Look Up
- Emma Stone, Cruella
- Rachel Zegler, West Side Story
Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical/Comedy
The nominations are:
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
- Peter Dinklage, Cyrano
- Andrew Garfield, tick, tick… BOOM!
- Cooper Hofman, Licorice Pizza
- Anthony Ramos, In The Heights
Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
The nominations are:
- Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
- Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
- Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
- Kristen Stewart, Spencer
Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
The nominations are:
- Mahershala Ali, Swan Song
- Javier Barde, Being the Ricardos
- Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
- Will Smith, King Richard
- Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
Tom Cruise returned his Golden Globes
Cruise has reportedly returned his three Golden Globe trophies to the HFPA, which has been slammed for a lack of diversity as well as for ethical failings.
The 58-year-old actor won Globes for Best Actor for Jerry Maguire, Best Actor for Born on the Fourth of July, and Best Supporting Actor for Magnolia.
Those performances also garnered Oscar nominations for the Mission Impossible star.
The HFPA is a non-profit organization filled with journalists and photographers who report on the entertainment industry.
Oscars v Golden Globes
One significant distinction between the two award shows is that the Golden Globes also honor television, while the Oscars honor exclusively film.
The Golden Globe winners are chosen by a small group of 93 members of the HFPA, but the Oscar winners are chosen by roughly 60,000 industry professionals who are members of the AMPAS.
The Globes are also a bigger event than the Oscars, with food and beverages offered, whereas the Oscars typically only feature the awards ceremony with the remainder of the celebration taking place in the after-party.
Finally, in comparison to the Oscars, the Golden Globes have more categories.
Ricky Gervais as host
In a savage mauling, the British comedian took aim at just about everyone there — calling out the hypocrisy of the rich and famous as well as branding the HFPA “very, very racist” and mocking their friendship with convicted dead paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
The faces of the A-listers in the room told it all, with Piers Morgan branding the brutal take-down “a glorious kick in the globes to Hollywood’s woke, virtue-signaling hypocrites”.
Traditionally the Golden Globes has been known as the edgier, boozy little brother of the more prestigious Academy Awards.
In 2011 Robert Downey Jr joked he did not “know if an actress can do her best work until I’ve slept with her”.
And Avengers star Jeremy Renner, 50, joked about Jennifer Lopez’s impressive ‘globes’ on stage in 2015.
Controversy about HFPA
NBC dropped the awards show last year.
It came after it emerged that not a single one of the 87 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association was black.
It has made a series of changes to try to address the scandal.
But the move has failed to persuade boycotting stars to take part, or to have the event televised live.
Last year, viewing figures for the Globes dropped from 18 million to just 6.9 million
The audience was the smallest for the ceremony since US TV giant NBC started broadcasting in 1996 — and little more than half as many as the BBC pulled in for last year’s Strictly final.
Rules for guests
The smattering of guests who will be at the Beverly Hilton Hotel are under strict orders to wear masks and socially distance at all times.
Proof of vaccination, a negative PCR test and a booster jab is also compulsory for all attendees.
Officially, organizer the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has cited the pandemic and rise in Covid cases across America as the reason behind the low-key celebration.
But in reality, a slow and steady decline in ratings coupled with growing controversy over near-the-knuckle gags and representation has seen the Globes’ appeal wain.
Once Hollywood’s most notorious party, packed with the rich and beautiful, it will now be online-only amid growing pressure over diversity and controversial gags.
Organizers confirmed this year’s ceremony will be online only after boycotting A-listers refused to take part.
This Sunday’s event will take place without an audience, celebrity presenters — or the red carpet graced by fan favorites such as Lady Gaga and Britain’s Olivia Colman who both won in 2019.
Surprise presenter: Snoop Dogg
Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) president Helen Hoehne announced the nominees for this year’s awards during a live stream on the Golden Globes’ YouTube page on December 13, according to Variety.
She was joined by a surprise presenter: Snoop Dogg.
He read off the nominees in several categories.
Retired Golden Globes awards
Some awards at the Golden Globes have been retired, but were previously awarded in the past.
Those awards include:
- Best Documentary – Awarded from 1972 to 1976
- Best English-Language Foreign Motion Picture – Awarded from 1957 to 1973
- New Star of the Year – Actor – Awarded from 1948 to 1983
- New Star of the Year – Actress – Awarded from 1948 to 1983
- Henrietta Award (World Film Favorite – Female) – Awarded from 1950 to 1979
- Henrietta Award (World Film Favorite – Male) – Awarded from 1950 to 1979
- Promoting International Understanding – Awarded from 1945 to 1964
- Best Cinematography – Motion Picture – Awarded from 1948 to 1953, in 1955 and in 1963.
Golden Globes award categories, continued
The categories at the Golden Globes for Television include:
- Best Television Series – Drama: since 1961
- Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy: since 1961
- Best Miniseries or Motion Picture – Television: since 1971
- Best Actor in a Television Series – Drama: since 1961
- Best Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: since 1961
- Best Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture – Television: since 1981
- Best Actress in a Television Series – Drama: since 1961
- Best Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: since 1961
- Best Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture – Television: since 1981
- Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: since 1970
- Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: since 1970
- Carol Burnett Award for Lifetime Achievement in Television: since 2018
Golden Globes award categories
The categories at the Golden Globes for Motion Pictures include:
- Best Motion Picture – Drama: since 1943 (separated genre in 1951)
- Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: since 1951
- Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language: since 1948
- Best Motion Picture – Animated: since 2006
- Best Director – Motion Picture: since 1943
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: since 1943 (separated genre in 1951)
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: since 1951
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama: since 1943 (separated genre in 1951)
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: since 1951
- Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture: since 1943
- Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture: since 1943
- Best Screenplay – Motion Picture: since 1947
- Best Original Score – Motion Picture: since 1947
- Best Original Song – Motion Picture: since 1961
- Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement in Motion Pictures: since 1951
Who has hosted the Golden Globes?
These are the previous hosts from the past decade:
- 69th- Ricky Gervais
- 70th- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler
- 71st- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler
- 72nd- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler
- 73rd- Ricky Gervais
- 74th- Jimmy Fallon
- 75th- Seth Meyers
- 76th- Andy Samberg & Sandra Oh
- 77th- Ricky Gervais
- 78th- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler
Who is hosting the Golden Globes?
The host for the 2022 Golden Globes Awards has not been announced.
It is becoming increasingly likely that there will not be a host this year.
Nominees for Best Actor
The Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama nominees include:
- Mahershala Ali (Swan Song)
- Javier Bardem (Being the Ricardos)
- Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)
- Will Smith (King Richard)
- Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)